Sunday, May 20, 2012

kickin' up my feet and turning the air on 60!

It's so hard to believe that summer is here!  On Monday, May 21, at 12:30 pm summer vacation begins for 4/5 of the Gasaway5!  Tyler, Ethan, Elise, and I will be jumping in the Suburban and heading to Amarillo, Texas for a week at my dad's house.  We will be making a few stops along the way, it's summer! 

Now I have to be real honest with you, summer is not my favorite season.  I am more of the October/November fall girl or March/April spring girl.  I LOVE seeing the leaves turning shades of orange, red and yellow and flowers blooming in the spring!  But there are aspects of summer I do enjoy greatly.  I love the camps, mission trips, and VBS.   I like watching the kids enjoy the pools, outdoors, and just having a chance to play. 

I also love the opportunity I get in summer  to do those things that I think about wanting to do all school year.  Ironing, naps, scrapbooking, sitting without guilt, cleaning closets and drawers, naps, sewing, really cleaning the house, did I mention sitting without guilt, naps, and (I am really confessing here) putting up a few Christmas pieces.  I have a few wreaths I want to make, some Easter decorations that need put up, and some major organizing that needs to be completed.
And my absolute favorite aspect of summer is Warren and my "Summer Bible Study."  We started this a few years back and I love it.  There is just something awesome about studying the Word of God in depth with my man!  He is such a great sport and lets me pick out what we will do.  We have done 3 Beth Moore studies: Esther, Daniel, and Stepping Up.  This year we are doing the book of James and I am so pumped!!



Summer is good.  But by the end of the summer I will be complaining of the heat, the kids arguing, the lack of schedule, sweating, stinging insects, and the ridiculous electric bill.  I will probably sound like Jonah (but won't mean it!),

"...and the sun beat down on Jonah's head so that he became faint and begged with all his soul to die,..." Jonah 4:8

 I will be ready to buy my books for the fall semester, get school supplies for the kids, and head back to playground duty.  I will be ready for the ball games, appointments, schedules, and programs.  I will be ready for the homework, tests, practices, and conferences.  I will be renewed and ready to go again. 

AFTER a few months of rest. 

As I was thinking of the excitement of rest I am anticipating (and I am giddy like a kid about it!), God reminded me of what He provides to me as a believer everyday. Not just a few months out of the year.

      Spiritual rest.  "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him..." Psalm 37:7a

      Renewed strength.   "Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength;..." Isaiah 40:31a

      Rest in His arms.  "The eternal God is a dwelling place, and underneath are the      
everlasting arms;..." Deuteronomy 33:27a
 
    An opportunity to sit at His feet.  "And she had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet...""...and she has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:39, 41b

   And an invitation to "taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes    refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

      Oh, just a chance to just "Be still and know I am God..." Psalm 46:10

Wow!   The blessings that flow from coming to Him for that rest.  No other place I'd rather be.  Better than the beaches of Florida, hiking trails in Colorado, or Disney Cruiselines.  Better than the comfy chair at home or trip to see the dearest friends and family.  I don't want to miss Him. 

How lovely is Your dwelling place, Oh Lord Almighty
My soul longs and even faints for You
For here my heart is satisfied, within Your presence
I sing beneath the shadow of Your wings

Better is one day in Your courts
Better is one day in Your house
Better is one day in Your courts
Than thousands elsewhere

One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see Your beauty,
To find You in the place Your glory dwells
My heart and flesh cry out,
For You the living God
Your Spirit's water for my soul
I've tasted and I've seen,
Come once again to me.
I will draw near to You.
I will draw near to You.
(Matt Redmon)
"How blessed is the man whose strength is in Thee;
In whose heart are the highways to Zion!
Passing through the valley of Baca (weeping), they make it a spring,
The early rain also covers it with blessings.
They go from STRENGTH to STRENGTH....
For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside.
I would rather stand in the threshold of the house of my God,
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness..."
Psalm 84:5-7a, 10
I am so thankful for rest and renewal.  He makes it available Summer, Winter, Fall or Spring.  Strength to continue in HIS ways.  Strength to keep flying.


Enjoy the sand, sun, and sunscreen!! 
Have some watermelon, sno cones, and a good cookout with family and friends! 
 Happy Summer 2012!!


No comments:

Post a Comment